Don’t be surprised if your kids leave their first dental appointment here asking, “When can I go back!?”
I have kids. And I wouldn’t have become a pediatric dentist if I didn’t enjoy working with kids as much as I do. As much as the goal here is to ensure optimal oral health, my team and I understand the importance of making your children feel safe and comfortable – and even have fun! By building rapport with you and your kids, we lay a great foundation for providing the best possible care and treatment.
Here is a look at what you and your children can expect from my team and I during the first visit:
What we’ll do:
• We’ll review your child’s medical history and take X-rays if needed.
• We’ll perform your kid’s first dental cleaning, including a careful examination of the teeth and gums as well as a fluoride application. (You’ll be pleasantly surprised at how quick and easy this is these days.)
• If your child experiences any anxiety — which is totally normal — we may ask you, the parent, to lay down on the dental chair with your child. Alternatively, we can also try the “knee-to-knee” technique during which the parent and doctor sit facing each other, and your child lies back on the doctor’s lap. Both of these methods allow the patient to have the comfort of their parent during their dental exam.
• We’ll answer all your questions about your child’s dental health, oral hygiene habits and dietary recommendations.
How you can help the first visit go smoothly:
• Print out, complete and bring the required paperwork to your first visit.
• Bring your dental insurance information.
• Please us know ahead of time if there are any special health concerns.
Expect your child to have fun! We have TVs at each dental chair and prizes to share with your kid. Plus, our new Midlothian location has a lobby arcade! So what are you waiting for?