As Commonwealth Pediatric Dentistry continues to grow, we’re excited to announce our new practice in South Richmond, which is conveniently located in the Stratford Hills area on Forest Hill Avenue. Please let us know if you have any questions about our new location and please stay tuned for more details.
7032 Forest Hill Ave.
Richmond, VA 23225
Sometimes it’s a small victory just to get your kids to bed at night. We get it.
Maybe they’re sleeping in their Halloween costume (again). Maybe they didn’t brush their teeth. But that can wait until tomorrow, right?
Establishing a regular dental hygiene routine isn’t just important for your children’s oral health today, but it also builds lifelong healthy habits. Sure, we’re all going to miss or forget sometimes, but we owe it to our kids to try our best.
Here are some of the tips I typically share with parents about helping their kids establish a regular rhythm of proper dental hygiene:
We know that folks get nervous before their first dental appointment – kids and parents.
We totally get it. You’re meeting someone new in a strange office and you’re unsure what to expect. We recently wrote about everything you can expect during your first visit, just to help put our new patients at ease a bit. But we wanted to take it a bit further and explain everything we do to make kids feel comfortable and gain their trust – and even get children excited about visiting the dentist!
Don’t be surprised if your kids leave their first dental appointment here asking, “When can I go back!?”
I have kids. And I wouldn’t have become a pediatric dentist if I didn’t enjoy working with kids as much as I do. As much as the goal here is to ensure optimal oral health, my team and I understand the importance of making your children feel safe and comfortable – and even have fun! By building rapport with you and your kids, we lay a great foundation for providing the best possible care and treatment.
Here is a look at what you and your children can expect from my team and I during the first visit:
What we’ll do:
• We’ll review your child’s medical history and take X-rays if needed.
• We’ll perform your kid’s first dental cleaning, including a careful examination of the teeth and gums as well as a fluoride application. (You’ll be pleasantly surprised at how quick and easy this is these days.)
• If your child experiences any anxiety — which is totally normal — we may ask you, the parent, to lay down on the dental chair with your child. Alternatively, we can also try the “knee-to-knee” technique during which the parent and doctor sit facing each other, and your child lies back on the doctor’s lap. Both of these methods allow the patient to have the comfort of their parent during their dental exam.
• We’ll answer all your questions about your child’s dental health, oral hygiene habits and dietary recommendations.
How you can help the first visit go smoothly:
• Print out, complete and bring the required paperwork to your first visit.
• Bring your dental insurance information.
• Please us know ahead of time if there are any special health concerns.
Expect your child to have fun! We have TVs at each dental chair and prizes to share with your kid. Plus, our new Midlothian location has a lobby arcade! So what are you waiting for?